Hive Coworking Spaces
Register for your free business membership at any Logan City Council Library to access the new purpose designed Hive coworking spaces at Logan Central and Logan West Libraries.
The Hive is Logan City Council Libraries' coworking space, designed for use by small business owners, independent professionals and people starting out in business.
These flexible, shared coworking spaces can support working, meetings, networking, the sharing of ideas and offer improved opportunities for people to work collaboratively.
The Hive also hosts regular business-focused sessions designed to support the development of business skills and to encourage the sharing of expertise.
Use of the Hive is free of charge.
This project has received financial assistance from the Queensland Government through State Library of Queensland.
The Creative Lab is located at Hive West. It contains two computers with access to Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and Premier Pro), Microsoft Office and a range of online resources. You can reserve these PCs via our online booking system.
Available during Hive West opening hours, the Creative Lab is free to use and is available to support people needing access to commercial design tools and digital business resources.
The Adobe software provided in the Creative Lab is proudly supported by Advance Queensland.
The Hive has a range of free resources available for you to use. These include:
- Wi-Fi access via the Logan City Council Libraries free WiFi
- Smart Whiteboard
- Flexible seating
- eResources, including online learning tools, eBooks, eMagazines and eNewspapers
- Creative Lab (Hive West only)
To access the Hive you will need to be:
- An adult member of Logan City Council Libraries
- Registered as a Business User
Library members can register as a Business User at any Logan City Council Library and once their registration is complete they can access the Hive and its resources.
To maintain a productive, professional and friendly environment for all users, library business members are asked to respect the shared nature of the space by:
- Adhering to the conditions of use for Logan City Council Libraries' coworking spaces.
- Acknowledging the privacy and confidentiality of others using the space.
- Endeavouring to reduce their impact on other users including, but not limited to, noise, odour, use of furniture and the use of Logan City Council resources.
- Understanding that the space is multipurpose and, as a result, other activities (including library events) may limit access or prevent a user from undertaking specific tasks.
- Not providing access to the Hive for people they don’t know. Anyone wanting to access the space should see library staff in the first instance.
The coworking services provided by Logan City Council Libraries to Library Business members are subject to the following Conditions of Use:
- Users must have an active Logan City Council Library Business membership.
- Users must abide by the Information Privacy Act, as well as Logan City Council Libraries’ behaviour charter and internet access terms and conditions.
- Users will not use Logan City Council Libraries’ coworking services for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these conditions of use or restrict and/or inhibits any other user from enjoying the service.
- Hive users are responsible for any food or drink brought into the space and must show consideration to other users in the choice of food or drink consumed.
- Hive users must return swipe access cards at the completion of a user’s session. For misplaced swipe cards, a lost fee may be applicable and library membership temporarily suspended until the swipe card is returned.
- Users are welcome to host guests in the coworking space and are responsible for their guests’ behaviour.
- Logan City Council accepts no liability for loss, damage or theft of personal items. All responsibility for personal items remains with the owner, including physical items and other items such as intellectual property, files and data stored on Logan City Council devices.
- Logan City Council makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the information, products, or services contained in business seminar presentations or other information resources for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such material is therefore strictly at your own risk.
- Any requests by the general public wishing to use the space are to be directed to Logan City Council Library staff.
- Access to the coworking space is not exclusive and the space cannot be booked.
- Users are responsible for their own safety while in the coworking space and must comply with any directions or instructions given by staff, including evacuation and safety.
- For safety reasons, business transactions may not be conducted within the space.
- Logan City Council Libraries reserve the right to terminate a registration for use of the coworking space if a user or users do not comply with these Conditions of Use.
You are not responsible for letting other people into Hive coworking spaces. Anyone wanting to access the Hives should have a swipe card, unless they are a guest of a registered Hive user. If they are not a guest and don't have a swipe card, they need to seek assistance from library staff.
The Hive coworking spaces are free to use. You will need to register as a Library Business member first to access the coworking spaces.
Please advise library staff if you change any of your contact details.
Contact the library immediately so that we can deactivate the swipe card.
Hive coworking spaces are open Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm, excluding public holidays.
Bookings and Events
Unfortunately to ensure the Hive space can be used by the most amount of people, exclusive bookings are not possible.
Yes, a Library Business member can host guests in the Hives or hold a meeting. Please be aware, however, that the Hives are shared coworking spaces and you will not have exclusive use of the space.
The Hive coworking spaces will host regular business-focused sessions designed to support the development of business skills and to encourage the sharing of expertise. Further information about upcoming events can be located in Logan City Council Libraries' What's On events booklet or by visiting Hive Online.
Coworking is a self-directed, collaborative and flexible work style. Coworking involves a shared workspace and independent activity but also allows for shared ideas and networking.
Coworking has benefits over working from home because there are fewer distractions, plus you get to network and skill share with other members in the space.
The Hives are collaborative working spaces. Therefore, there is a chance that you will not be the only person working in the Hive at any one time.
The Creative Lab is accessible through Hive West Library. You will need a swipe card dedicated to that space. Please see staff at Logan West Library so they can issue you with a special swipe card.
PCs are bookable online or by calling Logan West Library 3412 4160. The bookings are for 2 hours, and can be extended if other users have not booked the PCs. To extend your time please contact Logan West Library on 07 3412 4160 or visit Logan West Library.
Please note that once you end your session the computer will automatically power off and restart. The restart will wipe anything saved to the computer during your use.
You will be able to get help for basic technical issues by telephoning Logan West Library on 3412 4160 or in person, by asking our friendly staff at Logan West Library.
Regular training sessions will be conducted by library staff on how to use the basics of Adobe Creative Cloud. See staff at your local Library or visit the What's On page. These sessions will be available from late April, 2019. Alternatively, you can visit the Logan Libraries eResources page to access how to tutorials on Adobe via our video databases.
The Creative Lab computers feature Adobe Creative Cloud software, which includes Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and Premier Pro. Microsoft Office and Internet access are also available.
The Creative Lab is open Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm, excluding public holidays.
No, printing and photocopying facilities are located within the main library spaces at Logan Central and Logan West.
Hive West users will be able to submit their print jobs from the 2 PCs in the Creative Lab and retrieve their print jobs from within the main Logan West Library space. Please see Printing, Scanning and Copying for more details.
The Hive coworking spaces have been designed as independent spaces. Users should bring their own equipment, including laptops and tablet computers.
In addition, two dedicated PCs with Adobe Creative Cloud software are available in the Creative Lab at Logan West.
Yes, you may bring food into Hive coworking spaces. However, you are responsible for ensuring the space is left clean. Please also be respectful to others in the choice of food and drink that you consume in the space.
The Hive coworking spaces have been designed for business purposes. If you require a working space where you may bring your child, you are most welcome to use the main library space.
The Hive coworking spaces are independent-use spaces and users are encouraged to bring their own laptop and mobile devices. As there are no storage facilities in the Hives, all personal equipment must be removed at the end of the day. Users should also be aware that the Hives are a public space and users are responsible for the security of their belongings. See Conditions of Use for more information.
Connecting to the Wi-Fi in the Hive coworking spaces is the same process as if you were in the main library space.
Firstly, make sure WiFi is enabled on your device. Select the library's network (named LCCLibrary). If you are not redirected to the library WiFi welcome page, open your web browser (e.g. Internet explorer, Chrome, Safari etc.). After agreeing to our Terms and Conditions, sign in with your library card number (do not input the 15/ if your barcode contains this) and your PIN number.
Please consult staff if further assistance is required.
Hive West and Hive Central have interactive whiteboard facilities to project presentations, or to work collaboratively on projects and/or documents. You are able to access this equipment for free and borrow accessories such as digital markers and multi-media kits.
Library staff at Logan Central and Logan West Libraries are able to assist Hive users. If you are in the Hive and require staff assistance, please phone 3412 4100 for Hive Central or 3412 4160 for Hive West.